Foundationless Frames - Medium 6 1/4-inchRegular price $2.50 Save $-2.50
- HOW IT WORKS: These frames are designed to be used without any foundation, instead of allowing the bees to build their own foundation. Each frame includes 1 top bar, 1 bottom bar, 2 sidebars, and a wooden starter strip. When assembled, the bees build their comb inside the frame using the starter strip as a guide. The full-length starter strip is essential in guiding the bees to build a straight sheet of comb inside the frame and reducing any crooked comb.
- SOLID BOTTOM BAR: We changed our design to include a solid bottom bar which is an enormous help to beekeepers who keep bees in small hive beetle prone areas. The solid bottom bar reduces the number of spaces available for beetles to hide. A simple, but a significant improvement over using other types of frames.
- CUT COMB HONEY: Allowing bees to build their own comb is popular with beekeepers who want to harvest honey while still in its comb, often called comb honey or chunk honey. Without any foundation, the comb can be easily cut through and ensures your comb and honey are completely pure.
- NATURALLY SIZED CELLS: One of the most popular reasons for using foundationless frames is to allow the bees to build their comb more naturally. The naturally built comb is often built in a variety of cell sizes according to the bees' particular needs when building the comb. The size of the cells can range from 4.7mm and up to 5.6mm.
- UNASSEMBLED OR ASSEMBLED: These frames are sold unassembled or assembled, but if buying unassembled they can be put together using typical hand tools everyone has. A hammer, nails, and a good quality wood-glue are all that are needed to assemble the frames securely. Good construction is key so the frames do not fall apart in the hive.